William Everard, J.P. was born on 13th July 1821. He was born in a country where the Industrial Revolution was still in its infancy, and farming remained the largest single occupation. The country was on the brink of transformation from the old to the new, one which was to take him from the agricultural world the previous generations of Everards had lived in, into the modern world of urban history. At the age of 29, he was to enter the new world of commerce and enterprise when he went into partnership to lease the brewery on Southgate Street in Leicester. William Everard married Mary Ann Billson on 27th March 1847 and had three children. It was their son Thomas William who was to continue his father�s work at the brewery. It was a decision that carried a significant financial risk. William�s hard work and his astute decision to buy into the brewing trade at a time of industrial and population expansion combined to make the business a rapid success. The Stamford Arms was William Everard�s former home and became an Everards pub in 1921. If you would like to read further information about Everards history, then please ask for a loan copy of our history book � Excellence through Independence
With our refurbishment we commissioned an artist to redraw the Stamfords Arms coat of arms back to its full glory, working with the local history society to ensure its accuracy. What does it show:
The sign outside the Stamford Arms (the short name) is after the Earls of Stamford and Warrington, the Grey family, who as part of their extensive estates in Staffordshire, south of Manchester, and Leicestershire, owned the villages of Newtown Linford, Ratby and Groby for many centuries, until this estate was sold in 1925.
In English (rather than Latin) the village name has been written as Grooby, (not Groby) reflecting the long �o� pronunciation of the village name. I suspect that when the Ordinance Surveyors (OS) did their major mapping exercises in the 19th century, they dropped the second �o� from Groby, not realising that we need both. Many of their spellings of place names do not accurately reflect the pronunciations of those places.
Grey Coat of Arms
- Silver (or white) with blue stripes � the Grey family
- Silver with 3 boars heads, looking upwards, red tusk � the Booth family
Two unicorns, standing upright (rampant) ermine (white stoat with black tail tips), mane and tail feathers in gold
A crown – ducal or earl�s (with the round balls)
Above that – a wreath, under the helmet position � a twist of blue & white cloth
Topmost – an ermine unicorn, passant (walking horizontally) in front of a gold sun
And where does the gold sun come from? � possibly from Edward IV, elder brother of Richard III, Plantagenets of the House of York. But the Greys are descended from Henry VII, Henry Tudor, via the Beauforts, illegitimate children of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, third son of Edward III.
Information on coat of arms courtesy of Alison Coates, Heritage Warden, Groby, Leicestershire. March 2013.
When you come and visit the Stamford Arms please come and check out our history wall where we have worked with the local History Society to trace back the history of the Stamford Arms.